Skip to main content

Food Service

Food Service

Chartwells; serving up happy & healthy


Welcome to the Food Service
Page for Norton Public Schools

Reduced Information 2023-2024


Free school breakfast and lunch for all families has been extended for the 2023-2024 school year. Your students may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals, and if you have not received a notice of this direct certification status for this school year from NPS via email, we urge you to apply through the online application. Qualifying for free or reduced meals is also used by the Norton Public Schools to provide reduced fees on Athletics, Transportation, and AP and similar testing fees. For the first 30 days of the 2023-2024 school year the free and reduced status of families will carry over from where it was at the end of the 2021-2022 school year. If you are new to the Norton Public Schools or did not have a free or reduced meal status at the end of last year please contact Kristine Hadfield, School Business Administrator, as soon as possible at


We are using an online system for free and reduced applications. Please visit to complete the online application process.


If your student is eligible for free or reduced school meals, your student may also be eligible for free or low cost health insurance through MassHealth. To learn more call 1-800-841-2900.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can get free or reduced meals?

  • All children in households receiving benefits from MA SNAP or MA TANF are eligible for free meals.
  • Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
  • Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals
  • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
  • Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.

How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant, or runaway?

Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call Mr. Vincent Cerce, Director of Pupil Personnel, at 508-285-0100.

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.

Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are already approved for free meals?

No, but please read the letter you received carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Norton Public Schools, C/O Kristine Hadfield, School Business Administrator, 64 West Main Street, Norton, MA 02766 or email immediately.

My child's application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one?

Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for up to the first 30 days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

I get WIC. Can my children get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please complete an application.

Will the information I give be checked?

Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

If I don't qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing toKristine Hadfield, School Business Administrator, Norton Public Schools, 64 West Main Street, Norton, MA 02766, 508-285-0100,

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1,000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

What if some household members have no income to report?

Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

We are in the Military. Do we report our income differently?

Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?

To find out how to apply for MA SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call the MA SNAP Hotline at 1-866-950-3663.